Summer is an excellent time for you to slow down and enjoy life. And the best way to do that is to have an outdoor party with your family and friends in the comfort of your own backyard. Get your grill on, prepare unlimited refreshments and follow these quick tips for successful summer entertaining.
1. Check your outdoor space. Has winter’s freeze-thaw cycle damaged your outdoors? Check your fences, steps and floor for signs of peeling and splitting. Seal and paint them for the safety of your guests. Then, spruce up your outdoor space by cutting the grass, arranging some flower pots, sweeping and wiping down your backyard furniture.
2. Don’t forget the essentials. Keep your guests comfortable by setting up market umbrellas or a tent for some shade. Provide a basket with insect spray, sunscreen and spray bottles. Have plenty of folding chairs for comfortable sitting. Apart from an overflowing supply of good food, have enough chilled beverages and drinks in your fridge. Also, set up rubbish bins for recyclables and non-recyclables to keep your party area clean and neat.
3. Add some lights. If you’re considering partying into the night, make sure that your party area is well-lighted. Turn on your exterior house lights and bring out any outdoor lighting. Be ready with some fresh bulbs and glass cleaners to keep your lights glowing throughout the night.
4. Choose a safe place to set up the barbecue grill. Choose a spot that doesn’t interfere with the flow of traffic and away from the play area of your guests’ kids to avoid unwanted accidents. Place barbecue utensils and serving platters by the grill. Prepare raw meat on a platter and not cooked meat so your guests can choose which meat they want to grill for themselves.
5. Check the weather. All your preparations will go to waste if the weather doesn’t work to your advantage. Check the weather first and plan accordingly. Give your guests at least two weeks’ notice to prepare for your party.
The most successful events are usually those that have been well-planned and organised. Read this detailed infographic for more insights into summer entertaining.