If there’s one thing you need to know about me, it’s that I love to cook. I grew up helping my mum in the kitchen, watching and learning as she cooked away. So when I got old enough, cooking came naturally to me. Sure, there were a few people who made me believe that I had to be classically trained to produce wonderful meals but I’ve found that’s not true at all. Anybody can cook; you just have to have the right tools.
I stumbled upon this infographic by Andi-Co not too long ago, and I thought it would make a great intro for this post. Part of being a great home cook, after all, is having not just the right equipment but also the know-how to get the job done.
Now I’ve seen far too many cooking shows to know that master chefs use pretty much the same stuff we have in our kitchen—from ingredients, down to equipment. The only difference? They know when to spend a little extra for higher quality. And today, I’d like to introduce you to 3 kitchen tools that, I think, are actually worth your money.
- Chef’s Knife. Cooking is just so much easier when you have a good chef’s knife. It can get very expensive, sure, but if you know what to look for, you might find that there are plenty of affordable models available out there. Think about how you cook, choose the material you need (carbon steel or stainless), learn how to keep them sharp, and even the cheapest chef’s knife will last you many years.
- Cast Iron Pans. An essential in any home kitchen, cast iron pans are wonderful to cook in because they distribute heat evenly and, if well seasoned, are nonstick and last a lifetime. Today’s younger cooks often overlook these pans because they’re old-fashioned and heavy compared to other cookware. While they’re good for steaks and other meat, they’re also quite useful for a wide range of other amazing dishes like pizza and bibimbap.
- Upright Cooker. If you’re looking for a cost-effective cooking solution, an upright cooker is your best bet. Besides wrapping up an oven, grill, and hob in a single product, it offers plenty of cooking space, it cooks quickly and evenly, and it’s easy to use and clean. They add charm and uniqueness to any kitchen design, too!
Cooking with the right tools helps in cooking with less stress and more fun. I’m not saying you must have these three items in your kitchen—I’m all for having less stuff—but I’m telling you: 1) they will make your kitchen life easier and 2) cooking with them will expose you to so many recipes. Start with a good knife and go from there!
What other tools or equipment would you recommend to invest in for the kitchen?
Food is one of the basic needs of mankind. There have been a variety of edible items from ‘junk’ to ‘organic’ which we consider food. However we may call them, we are always troubled about keeping them fresh everyday or just for a time before they end up as digestive juices in our stomachs. Consequently, this concern caused the invention of freezers.
Mini freezers are the best buddies of people who love to travel. Fishing fanatics are the first patrons of mini freezers. Campers patronize them too. A mini freezer is a cooling piece of equipment that keeps highly perishable goods fresh. Cooked food and canned beverages can also be stored in a mini freezer. Some manufacturers designed mini freezers that can produce instant ice. Although mini freezers are very portable, they vary in size as according to their storage capacity. Some mini freezers are just capable of handling cans or bottles of beers and sodas. But there are mini freezers which have extra space for packed foods along side with canned drinks.
In order for one to save money in purchasing a mini freezer, here are some points which should be reflected on:
- Determine first your reason for a buying a mini freezer.
- Decide on the size of the mini freezer you need. Ask yourself the stuffs you are going to fill it with. After which, you may also decide if you will go for mini freezers with shelves.
- Resolve on the inside and outside features that you need.
- As mentioned earlier, prices of mini freezers differ. So, you should consider your budget to avoid shelling out extra money.
A kitchen’s ambiance is defined by the aroma of herbs and spices battling against each other before they are added to a recipe. These strong flavors could only be released with the use of a mortar and pestle. Although mortar and pestles usually appear as bowls and bats, they vary in sizes, texture and the materials they are made of.
If you will observe keenly while watching your favorite cooking show, a chef’s kitchen would be incomplete with out a mortar and pestle, specifically a granite mortar and pestle. The use of a granite mortar and pestle, at the present time has been popularized by the famed ‘Naked Chef’, Jamie Oliver. He did not only make it renowned but also tagged it as a ‘required modern cooking equipment’.
Advantages of Using Granite Mortar and Pestle
Chefs have a preference for a granite mortar and pestle over a clay, ceramic, glass, marble or wooden one. One of the primary reasons is it never fails to produce the most delicious paste. This is true not only for Thai cooking but for other cuisines as well. In it ingredients are pounded, not crushed, to release and meld their natural oils and fluids. The fine flavors produced from foods ground in a granite mortar and pestle are far superior to the flavors of foods ground in a different mortar and pestle. And electronic devices fall short on this too. The way the heavy stone pestle pounds the ingredients can never be replaced by the grinding motions of an electric device.
Moreover, a granite mortar and pestle is made of stone which is very non-porous. It will not have the tendency to absorb flavors and odors. It is very smooth inside and very easy to clean after each use.
Aside from the pounding credibility and composition of a granite mortar and pestle, a study showed that its use is also beneficial to one’s health. Granite dust, which gets into the ingredients pounded in a granite mortar and pestle, contains 5 percent potassium, and has associated with it 16 minerals. For all we know, Potassium aids the functions of the cells and different organs in our bodies.